Working to develop, launch and manage medical technologies, products and companies all over the world has brought me unmeasurable satisfaction. The learning experiences and personal relationships built in the United States, Europe and Asia have been nothing other than a true blessing. Now I am living a dream in working to impact social and economic challenges with a specific focus on education.
When all of the dust settles in Washington and @BetsyDeVos is no longer in the headlines, the passion and performance of our educators, in traditional and charter schools throughout the country will endure – if WE, The People engage and contribute.
To be very transparent here, I am a STRONG advocate for charter schools, not as the panacea for an ailing education system but to complement and supplement “district” schools. Adding performance, quality and other metrics is of course a prerequisite for all schools so, as I look at it, charter schools are not to be considered better, just different and serving unmet needs in our communities.
We are @In2Outcomes and believe that change in our current education system is absolutely necessary for America. Working today on charter schools in Utah I like to refer to the current Utah State Stature 53A-1a-503 which states:
The purposes of the state’s charter schools as a whole are to:
(1) continue to improve student learning;
(2) encourage the use of different and innovative teaching methods;
(3) create new professional opportunities for educators that will allow them to actively participate in designing and implementing the learning program at the school;
(4) increase choice of learning opportunities for students;
(5) establish new models of public schools and a new form of accountability for schools that emphasizes the measurement of learning outcomes and the creation of innovative measurement tools;
(6) provide opportunities for greater parental involvement in management decisions at the school level; and
(7) expand public school choice in areas where schools have been identified for school improvement, corrective action, or restructuring under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, 20 U.S.C. Sec. 6301 et seq. Amended by Chapter 319, 2008 General Session
Some of the work we are doing in areas of “Flip Education”, “Remote-based Learning”, “Project-based Learning”, “STEAM”, “EnterEducation” (I’m not sure that I like to use the word “gamification” in education so we look at Entertainment as a method of delivery) and even “Virtual Reality” speak to innovation in education. In our approach, we believe if far more effective and efficient to engage with charter schools before we approach the broader (and much more bureaucratic) district school systems. This is not the only way to make a difference but it is the way we have chosen to make a positive impact in education. What are you doing in your community to make a difference?
We are so much more aware of the power of social media and how it can influence, favorably or unfavorably, actions, opinions and outcomes. If this resonates with you and you want to be an agent of change, Tweet about this @In2Outcomes, Post to Facebook and stay engaged as this #In2Outcomes movement gets some traction.